Tabs

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Conversation I Wanted To Avoid

The current plan is for me to spend another semester at Perk and get that last credit--which isn't even a full class.  Probably no W.  Probably not transfering to a local university.  At least, not this semester.

So, while Lacey (who's gonna get her Associate's too) and I were sitting the counselor's office, the counselor asked what I was majoring in.

I told her I was getting my Associate's and then getting out.  Then when she got The Look on her face, I went on, "I know that's not what you like to hear."

"Why would you do that?" she asked, more like demanded.

I told her I wanted to be a writer, but I would never major in it, and I was going to get out and get a real job and then just write on the side, like I've been doing with school and writing since I was thirteen.

She said that I should major in Creative Writing because it would make me more marketable to publishers.  That I could perhaps teach it and then have more time to write.  There was more to the lecture, and I mean it was a lecture, but really while there are "a billion reasons" why I should, as she said, there's one little thing that can keep me from doing it.

Money.  And student loans are the devil, apparently.

Let's see.  Finish Associate's, look for a job now, the sooner I get one the better, live a relatively happy life.

OR

Get more education, put myself or my parents into debt, get out unemployed or be miserable in a field I hate.  I can do that without a degree.

I don't know what my ideal day job would be.  I don't want to be rich (well, yes I do, but I'm not ambitious), I just need to make enough to support myself and my book habit and the cats I intend to take in when I'm a crazy cat lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.