Tabs

Thursday, October 26, 2017

So Far

I've been home a week.  I did wind up packing up my car when I got back from Chicago.  I got home last Thursday around 10:30pm broke, tired, and just ready to be home.

But, CHICAGO.

So, I didn't realize how long it would take me to get to the offsite parking spot, and how long it would take to get a ride to the airport.  I did make it there, and then got a Lyft to the airport.  I got through security okay...

And missed my flight.  Luckily, I was able to get on the next one no problem.  It was my first time flying.  It was a bit like a roller coaster, except when you leave the ground, holy shit you're not attached to anything.

I get to O'Hare, and had to get an Uber to the Motel 6 (yes, I used both in the same day!) because I couldn't figure out where the shuttle was, and then I had problems with finding the Uber driver.  By the time I got to my room, I decided I wasn't leaving it again.  I chilled in the room grateful I'd brought snacks.

The next day, I got up early and used the shuttle to get back to the airport to take the El into the city.  My first stop was The Field Museum.  When you walk in, Sue the T-Rex is the first thing you see.  I was so happy, because that's the only real reason Chicago is even on the list of places I want to visit.  Because, Dresden Files.  Anyway, I spent 4, nearly 5 hours in this museum.  I loved it!  I want to go back.

I got out well after lunch time and decided to try the bus lines.  Eventually, I made it to the Irish pub I wanted to visit.  I hadn't eaten all day, I was starving and damn that shepherd's pie was delicious.  And then I went back to my motel room.  It wasn't much, but I spent a day in Chicago.  Not much of one, and I hated that I couldn't do more, but there's only so many hours in a day and all that.

The next morning, Thursday, I got up at 4, to be ready to take the shuttle for 5, to board the plane a little after 6, take off was a little after 7, and we arrived back in Dallas a little before 9:30.  I managed the shuttle back to the offsite parking, gassed up my car, and headed back to Corsicana.  Upon arriving, I ate something and just decided I really really really wanted to be home.  I packed up my car and headed out.

You know the rest.

But the museum!  Sue!  The other animals!  The fossils!  They have a dimetrodon!  And all these other fossils!  And diaromas!

Also, Jurassic World:  The Exhibition is there until January.  I don't know where it's going after that.  But it's amazing!  So lifelike!

Yes, I like exclamation points for this.  It was my first time in that sort of museum, first time out of the Bible Belt, first flight, first time in a Motel 6...

What I learned:

PARK AT THE DAMNED AIRPORT.

STAY WHERE THE ATTRACTIONS ARE.

While I know I've had the idea that I'm going to travel solo, because if I wait for anybody to do anything with me, I'll never get to do anything, I don't know if I want to make a habit out of solo travel.  I can and will if I have to, but I won't make it a point to go solo.

That was my thing.  My last fling before going home to resume my life of mediocrity.  I tried in Texas.  The one thing I needed was time, and that was the one thing I didn't have.  And I'm already not a patient person to begin with.

My life isn't that great.  I'm 25, living at home, feel ugly most of the time, with hard to manage hair, going to be an old maid with a slightly caustic (heh, just slightly) personality....

but DAMN IT I MADE IT TO CHICAGO TO SEE SUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.