Tabs

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Why I Don't Like It

We got one of those Love Inspired mailing list things today.  They make the Larger Print books magazine-size.  I've read one Christian fic (out of 27) this year.  I've attempted one or two others and just quit them.

I don't like Christian fiction.  I don't hate it, I just don't generally care for it.

I don't like people who have it all together, who don't get afraid their faith is so strong, la dee da.  I can't relate to it and it's just annoying.  "Perfect" people annoy me.

I like people whose cheese is falling off their cracker.  I like people who don't always see the bright side.

Thank God not all Christian fiction is annoying.

Allie Pleiter's Love Inspireds are usually pretty funny with quirky characters.  Shoot, make me laugh and I'll be loyal forever.

Deeanne Gist's characters are, well, if not realistic, at least likable.  They're inconsistent and they make mistakes.  They doubt.  They don't always have everything together.  They're flawed.  Not to mention Gist has a real respect for history and researches a lot.

Stephen Lawhead's books aren't that Christian.  The religiousity in his books isn't overbearing.  Because he writes historical/speculative, the religion seems more part of the culture of the world/time than preachy, if that makes any sense.

I'm not the only Christian who doesn't care for Christian fiction.  But the ones I do like, are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.