*be aware, I write from a Judeo-Christian worldview*
1. Thou shalt be respectful. It's okay to be opinionated, and we have the 1st Amendment for a reason. That doesn't give you the right to be rude and disrespectful.
2. Thou shalt pay attention in thine history class. Benjamin Franklin was never a President, although he was a Founding Father. He was also the one with the kite. Columbus was Italian, but sailed for Spain. He landed in the West Indies. You should know what the West Indies are.
3. Thou shalt not just complain, but thou shalt also do. Yes, if you vote, you can complain BUT complaining's not enough. If you really want things to change, petition. Protest. Be respectful and know your stuff, but don't just talk.
4. Thou shalt work hard. THAT is the American Dream. People came to this country with nothing and worked hard and made a better life. We're not even 300 years old. We can still do this.
5. Thou shalt be independent. And by this, I mean independent of the Government. The Lord may giveth and taketh away, and blesseth be the name of the Lord, but the government is not God. This goes with #4.
6. Thou shalt teach thine children right. Don't leave it to the school systems. You teach your kids right from wrong.
7. Thou shalt understand that a healthy society has many components. Home life, education, community, religion, security... When one lacks, pick up the pace.
8. Thou shalt read. Most importantly, the Bible and Robert Fulghum. Whether you're a Christian or not, the Bible has some good ideas. Robert Fulghum isn't a Christian, but he's freaking amazing. I have a lot of respect for him. If the Bible can't be required reading, All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten should be. You shouldn't be allowed to leave government-mandated schooling until you've read him.
9. Thou shalt remember to be human. You are not a mindless drone. You are not simply a cog in the wheel. You are you. Make mistakes, and forgive yourself for them.
10. Thou shalt never be comfortable. Humanity has always tried to be something or find something greater to be or believe in. Dream. Aspire. Pray. Grow.