Tabs

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Accepted Into Real Life

Since this is my last semester here at Perk, I've applied to a few colleges.

Well, I've only taken one application seriously.  I've decided to go into culinary and a college here in Mississippi has culinary as one of their specialties.  If I can't go there, I'll worry about the other places.

I got my acceptance letter today.

I've been waiting for this letter so I can apply for scholarships and whatnot.  I had to get accepted first, you know.

Irrational as this is, I was really afraid of getting rejected.  In writing, I can expect rejection.

In college, well, I'm in PTK and Honors.  There's a lot of doors open to me, and I've gotten stuff from plenty of colleges.  Come on, I've gotten stuff from colleges I've never even heard of.

Despite that, I was still kind of nervous.  I knew I was eligible, but what if they know I'm not one of those people that may not ever make a difference in the world?  I don't do THAT much community service and I'm not a zealot for anything except books.

What if they somehow found that out?

When I first discussed going into culinary with my mother, she said I needed a back-up plan.

Um, being in college was my back-up plan.  I want to be a writer.  Someday, I want to be a full-time writer.  If I'm going to make any difference in the world, it would be through that.

Although, the idea of cooking an awesome meal that totally makes someone's day is exciting too.  Food is God's piece of heaven on earth.

Being an English major was interesting.  But I hated the selections in Comp II and Lit I, and I hate writing essays.  And the very idea of becoming a teacher gave me a sick feeling in my stomach every time I thought about it.

No, I like this change quite well, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.