Tabs

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

On Being Single

I've never made my lack of a dating history a secret.  Well, maybe at first, but because it's my life, I had to talk about it eventually.

Other than the huge blow to my self-esteem that no guy's ever taken an interest in me, I'm really okay with being single.  Two of my favorite people, Rich Mullins and Hans Christian Andersen, never married.  Mullins gave up dating.  Andersen fell in love multiple times, but nobody ever returned that love.

What I don't like is that's there's this implication that being single is just a phase and not a lifestyle--unless you're a nun/monk.

25 About virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I do give an opinion as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. 26 Therefore I consider this to be good because of the present distress: It is fine for a man to remain as he is. 27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife. -1 Corinthians 7:25-27

I want a relationship because I want to write romance books and I'm pretty sure I should go in with at least a little romantic experience of my own, and not just what I've read about in books.  I don't want happily ever after, I just want to know what's it like.  I'm no relationship expert, but I'm pretty sure that's the wrong reason.

So, I'm mostly okay with being single.  Mainly because the more I think about what I'd want in a man, the more I'm convinced I should be alone. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.