Tabs

Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Odd Attraction To Moliere

 
Molière
Moliere
What I remember from World Lit II: Literature during the Enlightenment was meant to entertain and instruct.
Generally, I don't like the classics.  However, I did learn that I like Enlightenment era works in World Lit II.  We read Tartuffe by Moliere, and Candide by Voltaire.  Yes, they're a little anticlimatic with their endings, but I liked them.  A lot.

Since then, I've found some more plays by Moliere.  The School for Wives was okay.  The Misanthrope...well, I liked one portion of it, but overall, it's a pretty screwed up story.  The Learned Women is kind of sexist, and the learned women are so annoying... No, I liked it too.

I just finised The Pretentious Young Ladies today.  It's a lot like "The Swineherd" by Hans Andersen.  Young ladies get above themselves and need to be taught a lesson.  Simple as that.

I don't know why I like Moliere's plays.  Or maybe I don't.  But why would I read them, and look for the ones I haven't read, if I didn't like them?

Because they are funny.  They make sense when I can make sense of them.  The storylines are interesting, but mostly ridiculous.  I guess because as annoying at the antagonists are, and you really doubt whether or not it'll have a happy ending.  And when it's over, you're glad it's over.  They're short.  I know, because I read two (or three?) in the space of a single day.  In two days' time, I'd read three of his plays and re-read Tartuffe.  Four plays in two days.

Next up, I think I'll read Don Juan by Moliere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.