Tabs

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Art, Magic, Passion, and Self-Esteem

I think I've shared before how I feel about self-esteem:  it's highly overrated.

Maybe because I have low self-esteem.  But when you find so little to like, because really, I wonder at how I can have friends sometimes, how do you esteem yourself?

Frankly, I think if you can admit you have low self-esteem, maybe you are thinking too much.  Or maybe thinking on the wrong things.

"You have to like/love yourself before anyone else can."

False.

However, I do think you have to love what you do before anyone else can.  I think that's part of what makes a good book.  It feels as if every word was crafted lovingly and carefully.  How that transfers is nothing short of magical. 

Lloyd Alexander, always, is the best example.  Another would be this old copy of The Journals of Marco Polo that I have.  I keep it on my headboard.  I started reading it for my old enemy, insomnia.

It's actually kind of interesting.  I don't know if that's the translator, or Polo himself, but it's the same thing.  Whoever did it, must've loved it.  It's dry, but something with passion.

It's the difference between the proficient player and the passionate player.  Passion's like a smile:  it's contagious.  When you watch something being loved, it's hard to not love it yourself. 

We are not made for apathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.