Tabs

Friday, September 24, 2010

The Writer's Bible Verse and The Where-To-Turn Section

Okay, the Writer's Bible Verse isn't in every Bible.  One translation out of the billions and billions of translations has it worded like this:


Proverbs 15:31 (NLT) If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.

I have two quote books.  This was in one of them under "Criticism."  The words "constructive criticism" stick out at you, don't they?  I saw this the first time just thought about how applicable it was.

Of course, the verse means every part of your life, but since I consider myself a writer, well, yeah.  You get where I'm going with this.

I have this little crimson, Celtic-Cross decorated, Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB).  In 11th & 12th grade, I was teased because some kid thought it looked like a Quran.  It's a Holy, well-used, red-letter edition Bible.

*Not a picture of my Bible, picture courtesy of Amazon.com.  But that's the one I have.

I've had it for several years and the Where to Turn Section knocks me out.  Not only is it very...how do I put this, in what sounds like a Everything Guide book.  I'm serious.  The word choice is that informal and that hip with the lingo.  Seriously.  Well, I guess if the Bible speaks to you, it's going to speak to you in your own language.

There's one Where-To-Turn that really knocked me out the first time I saw it.

"When you are bored...Psalm 103...726"

I'm serious.  That's really there.  If you look up Psalm 103, it's a praise and count-your-blessings psalm.  Of course I looked it up.  I had to know what they recommended for when you were bored.

Another of my favorites was:

"When you need to get your head on right...Philippians 4:8...1430"

My brain processed it saying, "When you need a good kick in the pants."  I can't figure out a good, formal, gobbeldygook for it, though.  Okay, it's not funny like "When you're bored" but the word choice just didn't...I don't know.  It wound up being one of my favorite verses though. 

"When you are tempted to look out only for #1...Luke12:13-21...1262" 

There are plenty of overbearing, "you're a dirty selfish sinner" mean ways to put that.  The verses is the story of the man who stored all his riches on earth and he died that night. 

Nothing can convince me God doesn't have a sense of humor, which is a whole nother blogpost.  It's a pleasant thought thinking that the people who set these Bibles up must have one too and can put it in how we speak nowadays.  I wondered if they thought/knew people would get a kick out of their word choice.

Good night, and God bless...you're going to go check those verses, aren't you?  Or going see what you're Where-To-Turn section, if your Bible has one, has in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.