Tabs

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Just Some Thoughts...

Yep, that's the old title of the blog.  But that's okay.  I have some thoughts that need airing.

I love writing, my characters, my writing friends, and this draft of Black Sight.  There is absolutely nothing I want more than to just write and write and write until I can't write anymore.

I still want to do my Long Ridge.  I'm not going to stop writing.  If I did, I'd probably be the worst you-know-what that's ever walked the planet. 

But I'm having second thoughts as far as persuing writing as a full-time career.  Yes, I still want to see Black Sight on a Barnes and Noble shelf, but that's a dream.  It's not really a goal.

Sadly, I need a way to pay the bills.  Writing seldom does this alone, if ever. 

I'm almost done with my first semester in college.  While I haven't learned anything that would eclipse my writing dream, my natural curiosity for anything and everything interesting has been fed.  I've been exposed to a World Civilization class--not unlike what I took in high school--and I love it!  I don't care that the instructor takes up the WHOLE time.  I love it.  Just like General Psychology.  I love that class.  My mom told me by the time Mrs. Mac was done, I'd want to major in Psychology.

Don't tell my mom this, but she is kind of right.  I so want to take more courses in Psychology, but I don't want to spend that much time in school.  My parents can only guarantee that I get an Associate's degree, nothing more.  Not saying that they won't pay, but they're not sure they can.  I need something I can do with a two year degree indefinitely.

Long Ridge is writing training and is supposed to help prepare me for publication and how to write for a select market.  It's freelance, though.  The short stuff, the magazine-and-newspaper-stuff.  Well, the market for short fantasy is nearly nonexistent, although the market for science fiction is booming.

I read different genres, thus I do the same with writing.  Or I'll at least try.  I love historical, but I can't quite bring myself to write it.  I tried once and it was awkward.  But I can do contemporary well enough.  So far, that was my favorite story that I've sent in to my Long Ridge instructor.  My current writing goals, other than editing Black Sight, is to perhaps break into the freelance market.  I haven't given up my seemingly unattainable dream of being a novelist, even if I'm only kidding myself.  It may be just a dream, but it's one I've had for years.  But my actual goal is to do the freelance.  It's writing.

Okay, recap.  Some things I've decided upon:
  1. I need a real job, one that'll support me--and, more importantly, my book habit.
  2. I'm going to focus on the freelance and just keep the novels as my own little pleasure writing.  The uncorrupt stuff.  Maybe once I've gotten some publication credits, I'll try to get Black Sight published.
Okay, so there's my thoughts.  No, I haven't dropped off the face of the planet.  I'm still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.