Tabs

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My First Favorite Book


"We don't need to have just one favorite. We keep adding favorites. Our favorite book is always the book that speaks most directly to us at a particular stage in our lives. And our lives change. We have other favorites that give us what we most need at that particular time. But we never lose the old favorites. They're always with us. We just sort of accumulate them."
— Lloyd Alexander

So, I printed out some little labels with my name on them.  Nothing else, just my name.   I then proceeded to put these labels in my books.

Some of the books on my shelf I haven't touched in years, except maybe to move them around or something.  Putting a label in almost every book--because my name may have already been written in it for whatever reason.

Well, my name was already in it, but a flood of memories came back when I opened it:

The Tinker's Daughter by Wendy Lawton

 I read it before reading became a real hobby.  It's about John Bunyan's daughter, Mary.  She's blind, and despite all that is very independant.  You know, the sort of person that doesn't like to accept help.  Her father had been thrown into prison for unlicensed preaching and she walks everyday to the prison to give him food.  She learns that maybe accepting help from God may not be so bad.  My favorite characters were the gypsies, personally. 

I've been confined to glasses since second grade.  I don't know what it's like to be completely blind, but I know what it's like to not be able to see clearly.  It stinks.
And then there were some others that I'd read after I started reading as a hobby.  I could happily re-read some of the books I looked through today.  I got all warm and fuzzy just looking at them.

Reminds me why I kept some and decided to get rid of others.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.