Tabs

Monday, January 3, 2011

Rational and Irrational Fears


Iatrophobia- Fear of going to the doctor or of doctors.
-The Phobia List
According to my brilliant, former Pscyhology teacher, a phobia is an irrational fear.  And the phobic person knows it's irrational.

My fear of going to the doctor is perfectly rational, unlike all my other fears.

See, my yard is full of holes.  I'm clumsy.  I step into a hole, I twist my ankle, I writhe in pain for several minutes, just waiting for the pain to subside.  Usually, it does.  But not always.  And it always seems to be my left ankle exploding in pain.  Today was one of those days where waiting for the pain to go away took too long.  I managed to hobble inside and crash-land on the couch.

After a few moments, I lay down in my own bed.  Didn't help.  Took some Aleve.  Well, the pain's bearable.  I put on some socks and high tops to keep my ankle straight.  We have an ankle brace around here somewhere, but I can't find it.

Since this happens often, I should probably get it checked out.  But also, because it happens so often, I'm afraid of what the doctor would tell me if I had it x-rayed or even examined.  Yup, I think I'd rather not know.

My fear is not irrational.  Is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.