Tabs

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Back in 2009

Before I had the Blog, I wrote Vent Pieces.  This is the one I wrote when I finished NaNoWriMo in 2009.

It is not revised.  Straight copy-paste from the original WordPad document.  I just reformatted it a little when I put it in the blog-entry window.

Hindsight
Reflections on NaNoWriMo 2009
November 27, 2009
J. C. Verdin


On November 24, 2009, approxmately 12:32 am, I completed my NaNoWriMo 2009 by both getting the word count--50,018 words--and finishing the story.  Those last 890 words were the hardest I had ever had to write in my life.  Believe me.


This was my fourth year participating, however, this was the first time I ever registered for any of the groups or even on the website.  It was fitting that this was the year I got the word count--no matter that I breezed by.  The story was done.  And quite frankly, I was tired of writing it.


Some days when the word count was particularly hard to get, I wondered how I would feel if I did become a full time writer and that was what it would be like.  I was truly questioning if writing was what I really wanted.


Seriously, there were moments when I was thinking, "What was I thinking?  Wanting to be a writer?"


However, there were other moments--particularly at the end--when I felt I was doing exactly what I should have been doing.


When I finished, I was tired and I had a headache and I was just ready to go to bed.  I was about to leave for Texas the next morning--well, in a few hours.  I started out wanting to get as much done as I could before I left, but I wound up finishing.  I was really proud of myself.  Writing 50,000 words was hard--especially when I try to be as concise as a writer as possible.


Oh, I can't tell you how much fun it was to break every rule!  Adverbs, run-on sentences, and those lengthy descriptions about the characters!  It was fun and it boosted word count.


I've been trying to re-write my last year's NaNo, for the past year.  This year's was actually supposed to be a bit of a prequel, but the story shifted completely and the two stories wound up--while drastically changing what happened last year--intertwining, though Brennie was the main character and it was all about her, her relationship with Henry, and whatnot.  Cynthia and Marcus were major players, though.  I don't know if I'll ever go out and do their story now, other than the one from last year.


NaNoWriMo this year reminded me why I love writing anyway.  It was like going on a second honeymoon with the love of your life.  I got to learn more about these people and share in their life.  They'll be like long-lost friends every time I revisit their world.


So I'm glad I did it.  This is my last year in high school, and if I'm in college next November, I may not be able to do it again until I'm out in the world.  And even then it will be difficult.


So, here's to what may be my last NaNoWriMo!  At least for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.