Tabs

Saturday, March 12, 2011

"What's in a Name?" A lot more than you think.

 "What is in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."

I don't agree with it.  I think that quote should be taken literally, not metaphorically.  For my left brain readers, Juliet is saying that it doesn't matter what you call it, it's still the same thing. 

No, it's not.  Names are important.  Names are our identity.  Our past.  Our present.  Our future.

The name "Jesus" means "God is my salvation/God saves"

Would that name inspire tears to the eye if it meant anything less?  If it meant less was done?  When we pray, we are supposed to pray in the name of Jesus.  As Madea would say, that's the stamp that sends it straight up to heaven.

When a man sees a hot woman, he's attracted to her.  When he finds out her name's Bertha, he may not like her so much--just an example.  Studies have shown this.  I'm not saying it's right, but it's how it is. 


I'm certain I've told this story before.  I'd been using the name "Naren" for a few years.  About three years into the story, I found out his name is Hindu*, and meant "the best of men."  Since it's fantasy, I didn't mention the meaning the story. 
But the name meant so much more to me personally.  Your characters are like your babies/pets.  You don't think the hero in your story can do no wrong--even when you write them doing wrong.  Not that Naren is the best, but he's a good man.  And, God willing, if this story ever gets published, and some little fan of mine tries looking up meanings, and the word'll spread and there'll be a thousand jokes about it.  ::Shrug::

*I did have some reservations about the name being Hindi, but since I haven't found that it was the name of one of their gods, I decided to keep it.  If I do find out that is the name of one of them, I'll probably change it.
And, since I was talking about names, I decided to include this:


No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.