Tabs

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

But How Does it End?

I don't care how great or how bad a book is.  (And this applies to movies too.)  If it ends good, I'll like it.


This is probably why I never liked Romeo and Juliet.  


This is also probably why I read so many romance books.  I know that, no matter what, it will end right.  If the book is middle rate, and it ends well, I'll still give it 3 stars.  I mean, it still ends good.  That's the only thing that matters.


Likewise, if the last installment of a series sucks, it's like the bottom falls out and the first books lose their greatness too.  I think I may just start reading the reviews for the last book first, and then decide whether or not the series as a whole is even worth my time.  Something for me to think on.


Stephen R. Lawhead is my favorite author for that exact reason.  Well, that's the most important reason, anyway.


In Taliesin, Taliesin dies at the end.  But it doesn't exactly end there.  There's 2 or 3 scenes afterwards, and the last little part is just beautiful.  The point of it was that it wasn't over yet.  After all, there's four more books after it in the Pendragon Cycle, and a political thriller, Avalon:  The Return of King Arthur, set in the 21st century following it.  It wasn't over yet.  Grail, the last true book of the cycle was great.  Avalon, either read as a standalone, or as the last book, is an awesome read as well.  I mean, just the right way to end it all.


I may have been at one point, but right now in my life, I am never sorry to see a book/series end.  Sometimes it's a long time coming as far as series go. 


It's like a roller coaster.  I enjoy the ride, but when it's over, it's over.  Either you get back on and re-live the thrills, or you find another ride.  And the best roller coasters save the biggest loop-de-loop for last, as in, the ending.  And you feel great afterwards.


Now I feel like going to Six Flags again and riding the Goliath again.  Or re-reading Nectar from a Stone. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a great ending. I admit, for some books, I've been unable to get there. Maybe I should skip to the end and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I depend on Goodreads and read the bad reviews.

    ReplyDelete

No profanity.