Tabs

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Judge a Book By Its Cover

My Least Favorite Book Covers:




Twilight (Twilight, #1)4.  The Twilight Books by Stephenie Meyer.  Honestly, these books made the prettiest cover art on Listopia on Goodreads.  I have no idea why.  An apple, a flower, a ribbon, and a chess piece just don't do it for me.  When I first saw Twilight in the bookstore, I thought it was a horror-version of Snow White. Somebody had a photo montage of the first two books with the caption, "This ain't no ordinary fairy tale."  Apple...Snow White fairy tale...You get where I'm going with this, right? 

They were right.  Fairy tales aren't half as weird.






Nectar from a Stone: A Novel3.  Nectar from a Stone by Jane Guill.  Yes, my favorite book doesn't have the most attractive cover.  Seriously.  The name of that particular painting in "The Florentine Girl"  Elise is half English half-Welsh.  Elise's eyes are grey.  Elise is supposed to be pretty, even, and this woman isn't. 


















 2.  Most Christian Fiction.  The majority of the Christian market is Historical and Amish fiction.  Quite frankly, the covers aren't that great.  They're just not that interesting.  Every now and then you get a Fancy Pants cover, but Christian fiction needs some new people in the publishing houses in cover design.  They also need some help picking out titles too.  Even some of the fantasy books don't have interesting covers or titles.  I know it sounds awful, but I'm being honest.












1.  Most romance books.  This is actually one of my favorite books.  It's about a blind man.  ;-P  But having a clean cover and then a steamy stepback is a waste of paper, don't you think?   But anyway....





















My Favorite Book Covers:




Oh. My. Gods. (Oh. My. Gods, #1)4.  Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs.  C'mon, you know you like that cover.  Granted, this isn't the edition I read--actually, I read the eBook, and I got the other cover, but anyway...  I like the sheer cheekiness of it.  The book is a very light read, and the cover so implies it.




















You Can Never Go Home Again
 3.  The Haunted Books by Dyan Sheldon.  This is one of those books my sister left in the living room and I picked it up.  Like Oh. My. Gods., between the title and the cover, it was totally interesting looking.  And then I read the back of it and decided to read it.







My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #1)2.  The My Fair Godmother Books.  The Godmother is actually on the cover of the book.  I like the wand fixing the text.  Who wouldn't want to have Chrysanthemum Everstar as her fairy godmother--er, only fair godmother.  But anyway....










 1.  I wish I could've found a better quality for my favoritest book cover.   In the Hall of the Dragon King, eighth printing.  I saw the book cover for the edition that'll be released this year.  It's pretty good too but I love this cover.  It's colorful and it's actually a scene from the book! 

Actually, a lot of the older editions are like that, and I love them for it.  If you ever find a first edition, please mail it to me.  I have first editions of his newest books--duh, I bought them when they first came out.  I also have first editions of the Song of Albion Trilogy.  Most prized possessions, I'm telling you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.