Tabs

Friday, April 8, 2011

Writing, Religion, and the Other Important Stuff People Have Written About

Below are some of the things I've said, things other people have said that I liked, and would make GREAT Facebook/Twitter updates.  Just saying.  All of them (except for my personal ones) will at one point appear in my favorite quotes on Goodreads--probably--in the sidebar.

Me:
"If you can't find it, check the laundry hamper."  This doesn't apply to clothing.

"Girls have said they would want to be a princess, a vampire, or a wizard. Well, I want to be the fairy godmother. I could fiddle with everybody's feelings towards each other, and bring havoc--er, HAPPINESS to my charges. What fun!"  I guess this is why I'm a writer.

"I've never had my heart broken.  Ever.  I think it was born broken.  But it sounds logical not to have your heart all in one piece.  If you have a bunch of pieces, then you can give away that many pieces.  Some people are just more important, so they get bigger pieces.  If some idiot breaks the piece you gave him, well, he just made room for more people."

"There's a lot of stuff I can get in my head.  A lot of stuff.  But I don't feel it in my heart.  But then there's a lot of stuff I get in my heart that my head will never understand."

Rich Mullins:

"I had a prof one time... He said, 'Class, you will forget almost everything I will teach you in here, so please remember this: that God spoke to Balaam through his ass, and He has been speaking through asses ever since. So, if God should choose to speak through you, you need not think too highly of yourself. And, if on meeting someone, right away you recognize what they are, listen to them anyway."

I love that.  That, while not my absolute favorite, is definitely one of my favorites.

"We are not saved because we're good. We're good because we're saved.  Never forget what Jesus did for you. Never take lightly what it cost Him. And never assume that if it cost Him His very life, that it won't also cost you yours."

"I can understand why people would have doubts about the Bible. It's a weird, strange, goofy book!"

Brennan Manning Quotes:

"My deepest awareness of myself is that I am deeply loved by Jesus Christ and I have done nothing to earn it or deserve it."

"The gospel declares that no matter how dutiful or prayerful we are, we can't save ourselves. What Jesus did was sufficient."

"When a man or woman is truly honest, it is virtually impossible to insult them personally."

Stephen R. Lawhead:

"To see evil and call it good, mocks God. Worse, it makes goodness meaningless. A word without meaning is an abomination, for when the word passes beyond understanding the very thing the word stands for passes out of the world and cannot be recalled."

"We are closest to Christ when sharing the world’s misery. Think you Jesus came to remove our pains? Wherever did you get that notion? The Lord came, not to remove our suffering, but to show us the way through it to the glory beyond. We can overcome our travails. That is the promise of the cross."

"Call me Silidons, for such I am."

Okay, I can totally understand if you don't get this.  'Silidons' means 'nobody.'  I don't know why I like it, I just know that I do.


Donald Miller:

"There is something beautiful about a billion stars held steady by a God who knows what He is doing. (They hang there, the stars, like notes on a page of music, free-form verse, silent mysteries swirling in the blue like jazz.) And as I lay there, it occurred to me that God is up there somewhere. Of course, I had always known He was, but this time I felt it, I realized it, the way a person realizes they are hungry or thirsty. The knowledge of God seeped out of my brain and into my heart. I imagined Him looking down on this earth, half angry because His beloved mankind had cheated on Him, had committed adultery, and yet hopelessly in love with her, drunk with love for her."

"Writers don't make any money at all. We make about a dollar. It is terrible. But then again we don't work either. We sit around in our underwear until noon then go downstairs and make coffee, fry some eggs, read the paper, read part of a book, smell the book, wonder if perhaps we ourselves should work on our book, smell the book again, throw the book across the room because we are quite jealous that any other person wrote a book, feel terribly guilty about throwing the schmuck's book across the room because we secretly wonder if God in heaven noticed our evil jealousy, or worse, our laziness. We then lie across the couch facedown and mumble to God to forgive us because we are secretly afraid He is going to dry up all our words because we envied another man's stupid words. And for this, as I said, we are paid a dollar. We are worth so much more."

Winston Churchill:

"Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with it is a toy and an amusement. Then it becomes a mistress, then it becomes a master, then it becomes a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster and fling him to the public."

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best."

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it." Exchange between Lady Astor and Winston Churchill


Groucho Marx:

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself."

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light. "


Albert Einstein

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous."


And Everybody else:

"Every man's life is a fairy tale, written by God's fingers."
Hans Christian Andersen  (Don't pretend you didn't know that would be here.)

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
— Jim Henson

"Never laugh at live dragons"
— J.R.R. Tolkien

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
— C.S. Lewis

"I don't believe it,' Quince says with absolute certainty. ' I don't believe anything magical can make someone more in love.' [...] He looks me right in the eye as he says, 'Love is already the strongest magic in the world."
— Tera Lynn Childs (Forgive My Fins)
"Don’t worry about wanting to change; start worrying when you don’t feel like changing anymore. And in the meantime, enjoy every version of yourself you ever meet, because not everybody who discovers their true identity likes what they find."
— Antony John (Five Flavors of Dumb)

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.