Tabs

Sunday, April 10, 2011

On Crazy Love

We started the Discussion Sunday School on Crazy Love by Francis Chan today.  To be honest, I didn't care much for it when I had to read Chapter 1 last night.

On the very first page:

"....spoken and written words are cheap, easy to come by, and excessive."

Yea, he made his point, but NEVER say that sort of thing to a writer--or a reader for that matter.  That's an automatic shut-down.  I closed my heart to the book like an atheist slams the door on a Jehovah's Witness at the door.

The written word is SO important to both readers and writers.  I've learned more by reading than anything.  Yeah, so you can buy a book for a few bucks, but the cheap price doesn't indicate a cheap value.  Yeah, some books are crap, but some are treasures.

But anyway, it didn't wow me.  It didn't completely turn me off and make me hate the book, but it just didn't pull me in.

But we got to watch the video that went with Chapter 1.

THAT was good.  I responded a lot better when he was just talking than his writing.  This could be because, as a writer, he doesn't have the grasp on the language Stephen R. Lawhead (or even King for that matter), but as a speaker, he hit the nail on the head.  I liked the video WAY more than the chapter I read.

However, I did read on, and I did like Chapter 2 (a lot) and the little bit that I read of Chapter 3.  Now we're getting to the good stuff.

Can't wait till next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.