Tabs

Monday, May 16, 2011

Relating To Books

Our favorite book is always the book that speaks most directly to us at a particular stage in our lives. And our lives change. We have other favorites that give us what we most need at that particular time. -Lloyd Alexander


Yeah, I've used part of that quote before.  I have something else to say about favorites speaking to us at important times of our lives.


I complain about Christian fiction a lot (and someone should, how else can they improve?), but one of my exceptions is Cathy Marie Hake.  I love her work.  She's pretty humorous in some of her Bethany House books, which is something I always look for in fiction.


Last year, I read one of of her Heartsong Presents, The Restoration.  Right around that time, I was in spiritual-breakdown mode.


I knew what the character was going through.  I was just as rebellious about my faith--among other things--as this character was.  That book became one of my favorites as soon as I was done with it.


That is one of those rare times when I can relate to it and like it.


I also can't relate to many romance books though, having little (okay, no) dating history.  But I still like them.  ::shrugg::


Also, I used to hate reading children's/YA when I was younger.  I find I read it more now in college than I did when it was actually considered age-appropriate for me.  Even though I'm only 18, slowly approaching 19, since I'm in college, I feel like I'm reading underneath my reading level when reading "teen" books.  Not that I let that stop me, because I've read a lot of teen books this year.


A lot of the books I looked at back when "teen books" were okay were about outcasts and geeky kids like I was--still am.  If it hit too close to home since I'm for the most part an escapist, I didn't want to read it.  I would read a lot of fantasy and go off into la la land where anything was possible.   


I couldn't relate to them in many ways, and it didn't bug me to read it.  


Defeating the Ultimate Evil Overlord was much more appealing than a girl getting the boy of her dreams then.  It was less painful for me.  Even when my favorite character died--and my favorite always died if it was a Stephen R. Lawhead book.  Durwin, Taliesin, Angharad, Nettles....  ::sniffle sniffle::


And to think, that's my favorite author.  ;-P


I love when I read books that I relate to the characters without the intention of relating to them.  It always makes for a good feeling about the book after the end.  It's a pleasant surprise.


But I still avoid books/music/movies that look like they'll hit close to home with me.  Ironically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.