Tabs

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Realms Thereunder by Ross Lawhead

So, whilst waiting to get book three in the High Heels mysteries, this was the print book I was reading.  I don't feel like re-writing/making it typical to my blog reviews, but here's my review for it from Goodreads, via the hyperlink/javascript thing they give you when you give reviews that you just copy-pate into the blog entry form.  Take it with a grain of salt seeing as I am very prone to talk about my reaction to the book rather than what the book's about.  I have the Goodreads synopses for that:


Uncover a land that has been hidden for over a thousand years.



Beneath the land of Britain, a great army is sleeping. On a visit to an old church, Daniel Tully and Freya Reynolds awaken two ancient knights from a centuries-old slumber. They are kidnapped and taken to an underground city that stands in peril, besieged in all directions by a vicious warhost. Nidergeard is the only thing protecting the upper world's blissful ignorance of mythical forces that have been held at bay since the creation of the world. In order to return home, Daniel and Freya must strike at the heart of the opposer's power.

Fast forward eight years. Daniel, now homeless, still wages what he believes to be a righteous war against those he judges to be evil. Freya has tried to put the past behind her and concentrate on getting an education, a job, and a life. When they reconnect in Oxford, unseen forces begin to ally against them. Daniel is pulled through a portal and into another world. Freya is abducted by someone-some thing-posing as her professor and drugged to keep her in a delusional state. After they finally break free, neither can deny the truth . . . they must return to Nidergeard and resume the battle.

With a thrilling narrative that draws heavily upon British mythology, The Realms Thereunder will quickly establish Ross Lawhead as a major new voice in fantasy.

That's not what my cover looks like, by the way.  It does match ISBNs, so I guess I can't say anything.  Just picture it in a blue color scheme instead of green.

The Realms ThereunderThe Realms Thereunder by Ross Lawhead
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not entirely sure what to think of this book.  It is good.  I liked the characters, what it's about, all that.

However, if the man's last name wasn't Lawhead, however, I'm pretty sure I would've never finished it.  (I'm a huge fan of his father, that is)  I hate when books continually go back and forth between the past and present.  The plot seemed stronger in the past than it did during the present time part of the book.

The way it ended, though...

Okay, true to Lawhead style, the ending was great.  I mean, really really great.  It's enough to satisfy me, and I'll probably finish the series out.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.