Tabs

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Take Two! (Or Seven)

I re-read The DUFF.  I finished it last night.  It's only been a little over a month since I read it the first time.


I think The DUFF had a bigger effect on me the first go-around than I probably realized, or would even admit to.


I think if anyone ever saw me whilst I was reading this, I'd probably never live it down.  Total spaz-fest.  Laughing, going back and reading B's clever comebacks...  Totally loved the book the second time around.


What causes us to re-read books anyway?  It can't be for lack of anything to read.  I got a hundred-something books sitting on my unread shelf, not to mention all the books I got on my Kindle (yes, I got one for my b-day!  I have the most awesome parents ever).


Plot?  Maybe.  That's undoubtedably why I've read Nectar from a Stone so many darn times.  Six or seven times.  I love the story line.  I don't really think too much about the characters or how good the writing is, and trust me, the writing's great.  No, it's because the story's so good.


Gory Spoiler:  Elise stabs Maelgwyn in the beginning of the book in the neck.  In the end, when Gwydion chops his head off, the book says the scar Elise gave him was cut in half.  I know, it's really disgusting, but it's like Gwydion finished what Elise started.  Plus, Maelgwyn was a psycho and we all wanted him to die anyway.  Oh, the gratification!  ::fist pump::


Characters?  I've read The Wedding Bargain three or four times.  Pandora Effington was one of my first role models.  I wanted to be clever and cocky and brave and beautiful.  What girl in her right mind doesn't?  I loved Max Wells in there too.  Again, what girl in her right mind wouldn't want a man who does the 12 Labors of Hercules to win the clever, cocky, brave, beautiful hellion?  I thought she was awesome!  The dialogue between the characters is great too.  Nobody writes dialogue like Victoria Alexander.

Humor?  All the time (probably my main reason for re-reading a book).  The DUFF?  The book has a great message and all, but it's freaking hilarious!  Think 10 Things I Hate About You.


Recap?  Yeah, sometimes.  Not very often, but sometimes.

Relatability...see previous post.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  "It's like a roller coaster. I enjoy the ride, but when it's over, it's over. Either you get back on and re-live the thrills, or you find another ride."

Sometimes I just gotta take that ride again.  And again.  And again.  Until it gets old.

Why do you re-read books?

1 comment:

  1. I have heard good things about DUFF, and now I need to definitely pick it up. I reread scenes that make my heart ache, just to see how the author did it--was it pacing? Wording? But so many times it's just the investment in the character. That's why I keep rereading a book--the characters bring me back every time.

    ReplyDelete

No profanity.