Tabs

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Offend Me Please

So, if you're like me and live in a box (or the closet), you heard that editors wanted to edit Mark Twain's work due to some of the offensive language (this was back in January).  It may have already been done, actually.

There are also some Dr. Dolittle books that were edited.

Disrespectful.  You don't change great works because somebody gets offended.

Books, in their very nature, are offensive.  I think any good writer will offend somebody, at some point, in their books.  God-willing I ever get published, somebody's going to get mad at my MC.

Books have been the only things that haven't been forced to political correctness.  They offend.  They each show the world in the way it is, or the way it could be.  Or even as it should be.

Assuming readers are more intelligent than the average person, they should be intelligent enough to respect the work for what it was, and for what it still is.  It's not personal.

Shoot, you don't have to agree on every little thing to like somebody.  I didn't agree with everything I read in Everything I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.  Just because I didn't agree with everything didn't mean I didn't like it.  I loved it, actually.

I would like to say I'm a tolerant person, but it's really apathy.  It's not so much as "I accept it."  It's "I don't care."

Here's to offending people!


No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity.